This week on the Barry Street blog, we spoke to Alex from Cerno Group – the project managers for the new Barry Street units.
Cerno Group have managed the Barry Street project from early concept design through to handover. Cerno Group were involved in the selection of EDG.Space for the units designs, and Bourke Builders for the construction of the units – who utilised local trades as much as possible throughout the build process.
As these units were built during COVID restrictions, Alex says, “COVID had an impact with resources and materials, and just made it more challenging… we felt we did a really good job of managing those challenges”.
When we asked Alex why it was important to have the clients and families involved throughout the design and build of the units, she said, “… it’s super important to have the clients involved… to familiarise them with their new homes. They’re the residents of the properties at the end of the day and we want them to feel like they’re moving into their own spaces…”
Alex also touched on the importance of accessible housing, noting that, “… it’s important for communities to be more inclusive and be able to provide options… for disability housing…”
Initiatives like ‘The Opening Doors Project’ are only possible through your support, so liking, following, sharing, and commenting are all fantastic ways to help spread the word on social media.
The projects are also dependent on fundraising, and wouldn’t be happening without the generosity of the community.
You can support the ‘Opening Doors Project’ by making a donation at https://www.givenow.com.au/clrs where all donations above $2 are tax deductible.
Please continue to follow along with progress and fundraisers being shared across the following platforms:
- Facebook ~ https://www.facebook.com/CLRSopensdoors
- Instagram ~ https://www.instagram.com/openingdoorsprojectclrs/
- Youtube ~ https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwZi2fvGc57pdt6UMCsl8iw
If you’re new to the Barry St Blog series, we’d love for you to go back and take a look at our previous blogs and videos:
- AN INTRODUCTION TO ‘THE BARRY STREET PROJECT blog = https://clrs.org.au/an-introduction-to-the-barry-street-project/
- MAIN PREPARATIONS DURING THE DESIGN PERIOD blog = https://clrs.org.au/main-preparations-during-the-design-period/
- THE ROLE OF THE BARRY STREET USER GROUPS blog = https://clrs.org.au/the-role-of-the-barry-street-user-groups/
- WHY IS THE OPENING DOORS PROJECT SO IMPORTANT? blog = https://clrs.org.au/why-is-the-opening-doors-project-so-important
- CONSTRUCTION UPDATE WITH KYLIE BRUNS blog = https://clrs.org.au/construction-update-with-kylie-bruns/
- JACK BOURKE OF THE CONSTRUCTION TEAM blog = https://clrs.org.au/jack-bourke-of-the-construction-team/
- PETER GODFREY – ECHUCA METALAND blog = https://clrs.org.au/peter-godfrey-echuca-metaland/
- FIONA RAVERTY – PARENT OF CLIENT blog = https://clrs.org.au/fiona-raverty-parent-of-client/
- Leah Taaffe (CLRS CEO) gives an overview of the Barry Street Project video = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWjs7uDY4rs
- Opening Doors – Barry Street Project – Meet Alex Crabtree from Cerno video = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v-QmTEnH3uw
- Opening Doors – Barry Street Project – Annie’s Insights video = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxUB-yM5hOk
- Opening Doors – Barry Street Project – Meet Alastair video = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_KJCAbtGGA
- Opening Doors – Barry Street Project – Meet Fiona video = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGfPxwHWXy8
- Opening Doors – Barry Street Project – Chatting to Kylie video = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HagLuwI2wyk
- Opening Doors – Barry Street Project – Meet Jack Bourke video = https://youtu.be/PSdQYnothEk
- Opening Doors – Barry Street Project – Peter from Echuca Metaland video = https://youtu.be/D5gXvK2FKn8
- Opening Doors – Barry Street Project – Fiona Raverty video = https://youtu.be/XWfMB1AHaQM
- Opening Doors – Barry Street Project – Cliff & Maree Downey video = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwAG1HyAc5c
- Opening Doors – Barry Street Project – Alex from CERNO video = https://youtu.be/TDoZ7c6Jxe0